Packing a piano requires great attention to detail. It is always recommended that you work with a professional piano mover to ensure that your instrument is transported safely and securely.
If you are packing your piano yourself, you will generally follow these steps:
1. Measure the piano to ensure you have adequate space and a clear path out of your house. Prepare the area by laying down ramps or plywood to make it easier to roll the piano over carpet, grass, cobblestones, or sand.
2. Take pictures of your piano from all angles. Note existing damage that might cause problems during the move.
3. Close the lid and lock it if possible. If there’s no lid, cover the keys in moving blankets, ensuring no tape comes into contact with the piano. Cover the entire piano, including the pedals, in moving blankets, taped securely in place with high quality packing tape.
4. Hoist the piano onto a four-wheeled dolly. Secure the piano on the dolly using moving straps or rope.
5. Gently roll your piano to the truck or moving vehicle.
For detailed instructions, read our comprehensive How Do I Ship a Piano? guide.